Unity of Greater Hartford was established in 1932 under the leadership of founding minister Harriet Gilbert as a study group committed to exploring the spiritual principles on which the Unity movement is based. It was incorporated in 1951 and the center has been a member of Unity Worldwide Ministries since 1966.
Beginning in 1932 the church was located at 926 Main Street, Hartford, CT. The church moved to the former Stoner mansion at 730 Farmington Avenue, West Hartford, CT in 1952. The building was remodeled in 1972.
In 2001, the church bought land at 919 Ellington Road, South Windsor, CT. The construction of a much larger church began in 2004. The new church was opened on April 24, 2005, and dedicated on May 15, 2005.
The Rev. Carl Osier, Vice President of Organizational Services for the Association of Unity Churches International, assisted Rev. Raymond R. Shea in the Dedication and Blessing ceremony.
1932 – 1948 ~Harriet Gilbert
1948 – 1950 ~Edna Titus
1950 – 1957 ~Faith Cornwall
1957 – 1996 ~Rev. Merton Thorpe
1996 – 2008 ~Rev. Raymond R Shea
2008 – 2009 ~Rev. Phillip Smedstad, Transitional Minister
2009 – 2012 ~Rev. Edward Townley
2013 – 2015 ~Rev. Mindy Tucker
2015 – 2016 ~ Rev. Phil Smedstad, Transitional Minister
2016 – Present ~Rev. Christine Boylan, M. Div.
Learn about our Mission and Vision.