Through the foundations of Prayer and Sacred Service, we affirm and celebrate the Christ Consciousness within.
What is a Prayer Chaplain?
Prayer Chaplains are the lay ministry of Unity of Greater Hartford. They are a trained and dedicated group of congregants that serve our community by offering one-on-one prayer after service. The Prayer Chaplains are here to create and nurture a community where God and prayer are first in all things. We envision our congregation as a safe place where all are nurtured and honored and where we affirm the highest and best is already manifesting in everyone’s life.
A prayer chaplain is someone who can pray with you. Jesus said, “Whenever two or more are gathered in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” When two people come together in prayer, a third presence is there, that is, the presence of the Holy Spirit, or the active principle of God. This is where the consciousness of possibility exists.
A prayer chaplain is someone who creates and holds sacred space with you. To hold sacred space means to embrace a consciousness of possibility. God is greater than any outward situation or condition we may experience. A prayer chaplain guides one to open this space through prayer.
A prayer chaplain is someone who listens to you and holds in confidence what is heard. Rest assured that whatever is said to a prayer chaplain stays with that prayer chaplain.
“Prayer is the most highly accelerated mind action known. It steps up mental action until man’s consciousness synchronizes with Christ Mind.” — Charles Fillmore
How Do Prayer Chaplains Serve?
We are blessed to have the constant support of Prayer Chaplains. They are available each Sunday after service to pray with us one-on-one and to hold sacred space as we walk through this journey called life.
Our Prayer Chaplains are volunteers who receive extensive training in affirmative prayer and holding sacred space. All prayers are kept in strict confidence. This is the essence of what is means to be a prayer chaplain.
Through training, prayer chaplains commit to:
- A daily spiritual journey, which is based on love, faith, prayer, and gratitude.
- Demonstrate an active commitment to Unity of Greater Hartford’s Principles and Beliefs in their daily life.
- Hold a spiritual space of possibility for others and themselves, knowing and trusting that God is in charge.
- Pray both with themself and with others.
- Express the desire and ability to lovingly listen to others.
- Having and demonstrating a genuine interest in the well being of congregants and the other Prayer Chaplains.
- Hold all that is shared in strict confidence.
Prayer chaplains are available to pray with you after each Sunday service in the sanctuary.
How to Contact a Chaplain
There are several ways to request prayer support from a Prayer Chaplain:
- You can contact the office during regular business hours at 860-289-8963. A minister or prayer chaplain can return your call.
- Fill out a Prayer Request Card at the church and place it in the prayer box.
- Meet an on-duty Prayer Chaplain after service on Sunday for one-on-one chaplain time.
- Fill out an Online Prayer Request with Silent Unity
- Contact Silent Unity 24/7 at 1-816-969-2000
Prayer Chaplain Orientation & Training
Unity of Greater Hartford is committed to reaching out in prayer, comfort and support to our congregation because doing so supports our mission and vision. As our ministry continues to grow, our Prayer Chaplains are invaluable in helping to meet the pastoral care needs of our congregation. We invite you to prayerfully consider stepping into this powerful area of service for our ministry.
Completing Prayer Chaplain training and serving as a Prayer Chaplain is transformative soul work. It is a unique service that differs from many of our other volunteer opportunities in terms of the level of commitment and responsibility required. Many of our Prayer Chaplains report that they stepped in to serve others, but found that being a Prayer Chaplain blessed and benefited themselves most of all. It is a role that will help you discover your greatness and the greatness of others. It may very well be one of the most rewarding spiritual growth experiences you have on your journey.
Our Prayer Chaplains are not ordained and do not counsel people. Prayer Chaplains are trained to do only three things: hold spiritual space, listen and pray. Prayer Chaplains are not trained to “minister” to the community at large.
Our Prayer Chaplain team is a service opportunity for congregants who are called to take the next step in their spiritual development and are willing to make a high level of commitment to their growth.
Prayer Chaplains make a one-year commitment and some of the responsibilities include:
- A minimum of two hours of monthly Prayer Chaplain service — whether on Sundays, special services as needed or the Wednesday Meditation service.
- Commitment to a daily spiritual journey based on love, faith, prayer and gratitude.
- Commitment to demonstrate an active practice of Unity of Greater Hartford’s principles and beliefs in daily life.
- Daily hold the prayers in the prayer box in prayer and after 30 days prepare these prayers to send to Silent Unity.
- Attendance once a month at a 2-1/2 hour Prayer Chaplain meeting.
- Attendance in an all-day yearly intensive training.
- Adherence to Unity of Greater Hartford’s Prayer Chaplain Code of Conduct, which includes but is not limited to, maintaining confidentiality in all interactions and bringing harmony into all actions with the church.
Prayer Chaplain training takes place during the monthly Prayer Chaplain meeting, and once a year a 5-6 week Prayer Class is held which precedes the all day training session held in February. All orientation and training sessions are required for new and returning Prayer Chaplains. Completing the Prayer Class is required prior to attending other training.